admin

Matt Rowe is an artist and educational practitioner based in Kent and the London area. Rowe’s multi-faceted practice primarily incorporates ceramic process, photography and actions to create works of a distinctively English folk identity. Find out more at: www.gogowhippet.com

Jan 302012
 

The former German consort in Folkestone now known as ‘Shangri-La, is the site of much local speculation.
The have been many unexplained happenings and supernatural encounters in the house and the surrounding area.
Its believed that lay line that runs beneath the house and could possibly explain the heightened energy and frequency of these uncanny experiances.

the accompany audio interview gives a brief history of events  that the current occupants have witnessed.

Jan 302012
 

Local Folkestone legend Paul Harris has encountered various ghosts and phenomena over the years. Paul has also published a number of books investigating the subject of hauntings.
Listen bellow to the tale of how his fascination with the supernatural started and about a Sheep that spooked.

 

 

 

Sep 082011
 
Tall Tales 9

Don Whatford explains the connections between St Lenords church and the murder of the archbishop of Canterbury Thomas à Becket. Dons tale offers an insight to how the church situated in the cinque port of Hythe, capitalized on the growing  trade in relics and religious sites along the pilgrimage trail.

Listen to his tale here:
outposts and borders 1

Jun 282011
 
whelk man 2

Fascinating to hear about the Whelkman as this explains something my grandmother mentioned just before she died.
She spoke of a tall \’shellman\’ she\’d encountered in her youth when she visited Folkestone, and how the meeting had \’changed her life\’.
She certainly had a great fondness for oysters and other crustacea, and died with a smile on her face, holding a small shell encrusted box with \’A Present from Folkestone\’
written in artificial pearls on its lid.

Apr 012011
 


Count Louis Zbaroski, before he died racing on the sands in Wales, buried one of his precious cars in the grounds of Higham Park, near Bridge, where he resided-or so it is said.

Exactly why he would do such a thing is unclear. It seems unlikely that a successful racing driver as he was would need a nest egg, and a car buried would lose his value. Maybe he was reminding himself of his own mortality by burying a car? After all, being a racer was an extremely dangerous pursuit

Feb 082011
 
14 tontine street 1

Former Proprietor of 14 Tontine Street Terry Begent explains the strange presence felt within the property!

14 Tontine Street

The house and shop were built in 1898,along with the shop next door, on a piece of land formerly used by one Henry Hyham as an abattoir and butchers shop in Dover Road. The building was built on foundations, which originally formed part of the town’s early fortifications, and these can still be seen in the cellar today.

The shop has been used as a tobacconist and sweet shop for most of its life and the house above has been taking in paying guests of one kind or another for most of that time too.
One of these was a woman called Edith Mary Grimes, a 24 year old typist, who rented a room on the top floor. On the 25th May 1917 she was killed outright by the German bomb dropped on Tontine Street during the air raid of that date. Ever since, residents and guests staying in the house have said that they find it difficult to go up to the 4th floor because there is “something” that stops them. Some say it is just a feeling that they are not welcome and others say that there is an invisible barrier across the stairs preventing them from going up. It is almost like having to lift the trap-door on an attic before you can go in – nothing physical but more like a heavy cloud that you have to pass through.

In 1932, the property was bought by Charlie Robey, and his son George ran the business from then until his death in 1994. The business was well known in the town and even to the end was a “traditional” tobacconist blending and weighing out smoking mixtures of tobacco according to customers’ individual requirements. Although George Robey never actually owned the shop until he inherited it in 1972, he always considered it as “his” shop and has refused to leave it ever since. Every business that has tried to use the house or shop since his death has failed in one way or another – including his own daughters attempt to carry on the family business. Some have said that this is entirely due to his influence.

Text by Terry Begent, Article from Go Folkestone Newsletter December 2007
Find more of Terrys tales here: Link